Updated: Aug 14, 2019
Congratulations! The hardest part is over.
You’ve made it to the other side of the planet. Although it’d probably be easier to sit back and enjoy the ride solo, your experience will be vastly improved if you venture one step further outside your comfort zone and take the initiative in meeting new people.
Feel hesitant, self-conscious or just plain stuck? Here are some words of encouragement:
Here are some tips to get you started:
· Remember that people are often just as eager to meet you as you are to meet them. Thai locals will likely find you intriguing, and expats will find you comforting as you already have something to connect over.
· Even if you are isolated, you will never be alone. The beauty of living abroad is that you have a built-in community of people in the exact same boat as you.
· You will meet people automatically unless you make up excuses not to. The only person stopping you from making connections is you!
· Remember that you’ll be OK. You’ve already made it this far and your life is changing for the better without you even trying. Don’t panic about making friends; allow it to happen naturally as you grow as a person.
· Get out of your head and into someone else’s. Ask people questions. Everyone has a story to tell. Learn as much as you can from them while you are away. You are likely to discover some of the most interesting tales from the most fascinating people while you’re on this adventure – all you have to do is ask.